Recipe by hhorn
My kids loved tacos and chili, so I thought, "Why not burritos?" I started dumping things in the crock pot and my "famous" recipe was born.
Top Review by ilovechocolate
I love the idea of making this dish in the crock pot, and also that you can just put everything in the crock pot and it's ready to go. I did make a few changes to this recipe based on what was available. I didn't use tequila because I didn't want to buy it just for this recipe. I also used 1 tsp El Paso's taco seasoning instead of cumin, since that's what I had on hand. I decided to serve the tortillas at the table, and my husband and I filled our burritos first with the filling, and then with Cheddar cheese, lettuce, and diced peppers. All that being said, it's so easy I would love to make it again, and it's very tasty. My husband loved it. My husband ate two burritos at lunch and another two at dinner!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (may use breasts)
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1⁄4 cup tequila or 1⁄4 cup beer
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can refried beans
- 10 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup taco sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream (to garnish)
- sliced scallion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a crock pot add all ingredients EXCEPT vinegar, refried beans, tortillas, taco sauce, and cheddar.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Add vinegar and shred chicken with forks (I find a potato masher works well too).
- In two 9x13 baking dishes spread half of the taco sauce and spread evenly.
- Assemble burritos by smearing a tortilla down the middle with refried beans. Add approximately 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture, roll up and place seam-down in baking dish. Repeat until baking dish is full (usually 5 burritos in each dish for me).
- Pour remaining taco sauce over burritos, sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- I love making a double batch of this and save the "guts" in a ziploc in the freezer for another day.