Recipe by VickyJ
This was very good! I love the taste of olives, onions, mushrooms and garlic in a tomato sauce. When it's paired with the wonderful flavor of chicken, it's delicious! I served this with cornbread.... seems strange, but I had a craving for it that night. My first choice with this would be a good italian bread or buttery, dinner rolls. I ladled this mixture over spiral pasta and had tossed salads on the side. This can also be expanded for potlucks or other occasions. It travels well.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
Super easy to throw together with on-hand ingredients, and the flavor is wonderful! The only change I made was to use 4 of my freshly smoked tomatoes instead of the can of diced tomatoes. This may be the reason the dish is not as saucy as we'd like it to be, but maybe not. They were still pretty juicy. I'll definitely keep this recipe handy, but may double the pasta sauce next time so there is some of this delicious sauce for the pasta too. :) Thanks for sharing, Vicky! Made and enjoyed in memory of a special chef and fellow forum host.
- 2 chicken breasts (frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives or 1⁄2 cup green olives
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 large red onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce (your own or jarred)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, mostly drained
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons flour, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water (See NOTE at the bottom of directions)
- Add black/green olives, mushrooms, onion, garlic, chicken breasts, spaghetti sauce, can of tomatoes (partially drained), bay leaves in the crock-pot.
- Cook on low 7 - 8 hours or On HIGH 3 - 4 hours. (See NOTE below).
- Before serving, check the taste and use salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve this over hot noodles or rice with a dinner salad and rolls.
- NOTE: Half way through cooking time, check sauce. If it's too runny, add the mixture of flour/water.