For all you crock pot lovers! A time saver You can pre make the roux!
Make and share this Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo With Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, sliced & browned
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced okra or 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole okra, partially thawed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) candiced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- For the roux, in a heavy 2-quart saucepan stir together the flour and oil until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish-brown roux forms.
- In a 5-quart crockery cooker place water.
- Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, sweet pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, can tomatoes, and ground red pepper.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours then add shrimp for 20 minutes.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve over the hot cooked rice.