Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My children love gumbo. Their Uncle Jim makes the best (see Jim's Famous Seafood Gumbo) but in a pinch I will throw this in a crock pot for a cold night and they will be satisfied. The hardest part is making the roux. Don't rush it.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups water
- 12 ounces andouille sausages, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups okra, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- For the roux, in a heavy 2 quart saucepan, stir together the flour and oil until smooth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cook and stir constantly about 15 minutes more or until a dark, reddish brown roux forms.
- Place water into crockpot.
- Stir in roux.
- Add sausage, chicken, okra, onion, pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- Skim off fat.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.