Recipe by PaulaG
This is a hearty stew of white beans, chicken and sausage. This recipe was developed for a 3 quart crock pot. If you use a larger one, you will need to double the ingredients. Serve with cornbread, green onion fans and a side salad.
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice or 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 2 celery ribs, cut into fourths
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crushed
- 2 -3 frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 ounces smoked turkey or 8 ounces chicken sausage
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the beans, tomato juice, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and spices.
- Cut the sausages in half lengthwise and slice, stir into beans.
- Place the frozen chicken thighs on top of the bean mixture.
- Cover; cook on low-heat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove bay leaves, stir, adjust seasonings as desired and serve.