Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Threw this together one morning and what a wonderful dinner. Served with peas and dinner buns. Please note: I didn't leave the chicken breast whole, I cut each breast into 3 pieces.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix (dry)
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream soup (mushroom or celery)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix dry soup to wet soup and rice and milk in a bowl.
- Lay chicken in lightly greased crock pot. Place 1 tablespoons butter on top of each piece of chicken.
- Pour over soup mixture.
- Season with pepper and sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top.
- Cook in crock pot for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
Just a few thoughts - stir a few times while cooking and when the rice is the right texture cover and move to a warming oven until ready to eat. Chicken was extremely tender as I did cut the half breasts in half again - adding carrots and fresh parsley at 3 hours out of the 6 hours cooked. Really rich tasting!
Update: I took this to a potluck at church this past Sunday. I cut the chicken breast into bite size pieces. For a little color, diced carrots were added in 1 hour before severing. A few minutes before we ate, I added 1/2 cup of minute rice as there was more liquid then I would have liked this time. I love this recipe!!......... September 09, 2005--This was so easy to put together and the whole family loved it! Put mine on high for 5 hours and the chicken was so you could cut it with a fork. The liquid was adsorbed into the rice nicely with no dry or burnt areas in the crockpot. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I'll be sharing it with friends and family!!
I used cream of celery and also threw in a 1 lb bag of broccoli and cauliflower. It was the perfect flavor and not too salty, but I think if I hadn't added the veggies it would have been. The next time I make this I will make it just the same and add mushrooms as well!