Recipe by JanuaryBride
This is a little thicker than a soup, but thinner than a stew. . .so let's call it a Mexican Stoup! This is adapted from a recipe on skinnytaste.com (original was a little bland for us, so I added some items).
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cansmedium tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 medium scallions, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (optional)
- 2 cups salsa (thick and chunky is best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place one can of beans and 2 cups of chicken broth in a blender and puree. Place bean puree in crock pot.
- Into the crock pot, add remaining beans and chicken broth along with the tomatoes, bell pepper, green chiles, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, corn (optional), mushrooms (optional), salsa, and chicken breasts.
- Set slow cooker to high for 4 hrs or to low for 6-8 hrs (I do mine on high).
- After it's done, remove and shred chicken (with 2 forks - it will just fall apart) and return it to the crock pot. Add the cilantro and scallions.
- Adjust to taste with salt and cumin (and hot sauce if you like).
- Serve hot with lime wedges and a dollop of sour cream if you wish.