Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This pale vegetarian chili is both pretty to look at and delicious to eat. Add the cream cheese if you prefer a thicker, cheesier sauce, and the mild green chilies for a flavor boost. Serve with hot crusty bread and a salad of sliced tomatoes in vinaigrette for a great meal. TIP: If you prefer a thicker chili, mash some or all of the beans or puree in a food processor before adding to the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed or 1 cup dried white bean, soaked overnight, cooked and drained
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, cooked for 4 minutes in salted boiling water and drained
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies (optional)
- finely chopped green onion, garnish (optional)
- finely chopped fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic, jalapeno pepper, cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Add beans and stock and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours, until hot and bubbling.
- Stir in cauliflower, green pepper, Monterey Jack cheese, and cream cheese and chilies, if using. Cover and cook on HIGH for 25 to 30 minutes, until green peppers are softened and cauliflower is heated through. Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired. Serves 6 to 8.
- Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.