Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Fluffier than the shredded cheesy potatoes. For added zing, I like to use the "O'Brien" variety of frozen hash browns that comes with bits of red pepper and onion in it. For super-fast prep, use dried minced onion and the prepackaged shredded cheese.
- 2 lbs frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Turn ingredients into crock pot.
- Cook on Low for 5 to 6 hours.
These are really great potatos for a tailgate. Put them in over night and they are ready to go to the stadium first thing in the morning. If using the O'Brian potatos watch the weight on the packages--they are usually only 12oz, so if you don't use close to three packages they come out runny.
Made this for Christmas for family and it was excellent. I used velveta instead of cheeder and used fresh peeled cubed potatoes rather than frozen but otherwise the recipe was unchanged. A welcome addition to this recipe might be some bacon.
Very easy and good. The hardest part of this recipe is chopping the onion! I did add a small jar of pimento for color.