Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
COMFORT FOOD! Flavors blend well in this soup/chowder which can easily be cooked stovetop or in a crock pot. A great way to use leftover ham. EASY preparation. Your family will love this soup!
- 3 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 5 potatoes, cut in cubes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cold water (optional)
- Place ham, celery, onion, carrots, potatoes, corn and chicken broth in crock pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. (The ham will provide some salt.) If cooking stovetop, cook until potatoes are done. Turn crock pot to low and cook 3 to 4 hours.
- During last 10 minutes of cooking add evaporated milk. Heat only-do not boil. Str lightly to allow cheese to melt. If a thicker soup is desired, add optional cornstarch after dissolving it in cold water. Smash a few potatoes for thickening.
This is a very nice recipe. What milk is in the soup is confusing. It says 2 cups milk in the ingredients, but in the instructions it mentions evaporated milk. The carrots didn't get cooked well enough in my crockpot after 5 hours on high setting. Overall though, I loved the flavor!
Such an easy and hearty soup that is perfect for winter! Made this the other day in my dutch oven on the stove top. I added more potatoes and celery than the recipe called for, but there were no complaints! Also made Buttery Soft Crescent Rolls Buttery Soft Crescent Rolls to accompany the soup. Next time I make this I'll make it much thicker like a chowder since there's creamed corn in it. Mm, corn chowder!