Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A flexible recipe, cobbled together from what I had on hand in the cupboards and fridge after reading a few recipes for various corn chowders, that goes into the crock pot. I just made it and didn't want to lose it! The amounts on the spices are best guesses, so can be adjusted to suit your tastes and inclinations.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 -3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed Velveeta cheese
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Spray a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, and add all ingredients except cheeses and hot pepper sauce to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 3-4 hours.
- Check potatoes to be sure they are tender, and then stir in the cheeses and the hot pepper sauce to taste. Adjust salt and pepper to taste also.
- Once the cheeses are completely melted, it's ready to eat!
I made a few adjustments when making this recipe, but nothing outrageous, I think! What with all the salt in some of the other ingredients, I left out the 1/2 teaspoon of salt & also cut back on the cayenne pepper, then substituted milk with 2% fat for the half-and-half, while eliminating the hot sauce altogether! AND STILL, we had a very satisfing chowder, & will keep the recipe around to make again! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]