Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This creamy crock pot meal is comfort food at its best! It reminds me of chicken cordon bleu, without the fuss!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces fully cooked diced ham (1 cup)
- cooked rice or pasta
- Dice chicken, and place in crock pot.
- Cut butter into pieces, and distribute evenly over chicken.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning and white pepper over top, and place lid on crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- At end of cooking time, cut up the cream cheese, and drop into crock pot, together with the diced ham and chicken soup.
- Stir, then replace lid.
- Cook on high until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot over rice or pasta.
Pretty good. Used only 1/2 stick salted butter, and about a tablespoon of light olive oil. Will definitely make again, but with the following modifications: Cook chicken only 4 hours. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of milk to cream cheese mixture. Add salt to taste. Add peas at the end. Served over fettucine noodles. Will try rice or egg noodles next time. Overall, a yummy, easy recipe. Thanks for sharing!
LOL! This recipe has several major problems but reading all the reviews today more than made up for them! I am reading this on 7-29-13, almost 9 years since this recipe was originally posted. What great reads the 30 odd reviews about this recipe were for me! I am amazed about how so many give a recipe 5 stars yet specify that they completely amended the recipe! There were so many suggestions about this recipe that I am now uncertain about how to proceed! Should I cut down on the butter? Should I cut down on the cooking time for the chicken?; Do I really use the chicken without getting any color on it beforehand? IMO, the answers are: yes, yes, and no! And not including a quick sautee in 1 tsp of canola oil to get some color on the chicken is a major flaw in this recipe, as is the overlong cooking time which will dry out and toughen chicken breasts, even if submerged in butter and condensed soup and even wine! Some of the suggestions by reviewers that I now include in my version of this recipe include the addition of sautéed onions and mushrooms and the addition of 1 cup of Chablis and 1 package of Lipton Secrets Onion Mushroom Soup and Dip Mix. I wish to thank the O/P (truebrit) for posting his/her recipe for this dish and allowing me to criticize it. As is, this recipe does not work. Happy cooking!
I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe. I knew it would be good, but my husband really raved over this. I made this as written, but cut the amount of butter in half and used 1/3 less fat cream cheese. It was nice and creamy and had a great flavor. I served this over corkscrew pasta. This will be one of my go-to crockpot recipes. Thanx!