Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A convenient way to have mashed potatoes ready along with your meat when you come home from work. Prep time also includes standing time for cheese to melt.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 -3 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
- Place cut up potatoes and water into a slow cooker; dot with butter.
- Cook on Low for 6 hours or High for 3 hours.
- Check potatoes for doneness.
- Drain potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- With an electric mixer, mash potatoes.
- After potatoes are mashed, add milk, salt and pepper.
- Whip until smooth.
- Stir in chopped green onions and cheese; blend well.
- Cover bowl with aluminium foil and place in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes so flavors blend and cheese melts.
This dish was very easy to make and came out with a nice cheddar flavor. Since the cheese thickened the potatoes, I did use the full amount of milk. I also do not care for green onions, so substituted fresh chives.