Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 hrs
not the traditional cassoulet, but lower calorie and so much less work!
Make and share this Crock Pot Cassoulet recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup dry great northern beans or 1 cup navy beans
- 1 lb cubed lamb
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, cooked and sliced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- rinse beans, bring to boil in pan, simmer for 10 minutes.
- remove from heat and cover for 1 hour.
- in pan brown lamb in oil, drain off fat.
- in crock pot combine lamb, beans, broth, sausage, garlic and spices.
- cook on hi 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- on hi, add eggplant, pepper, tomato paste and cook 30 minutes.
Wow! what a marvelous taste, those chorizo sausages really make this dish. i followed the recipe exactly and it turned out great. One of my first experiences with eggplant, it seemed ok, although I can't say I liked it or not, it didn't seem to have any taste or it's own, it felt like it just added volume to the dish. I will certainly make this again, the taste is outstanding!! It would add a nice dish for a BBQ or just plain comfort for a cold winter night. The lamb was very good in it and we are wondering if stew beef could be used when we can't get lamb stew meat. My beans still seemed quite hard about half way through, so I turned the pot up to high for the last half, glad I did it came out wonderful.
Made this at while on vacation and the shop didn't have lamb so I used beef and ordinary sausages. It had no affect on the outcome. This was fabulous and smelled wonderful. (even though it was a heavy meal for a very hot day). I tossed everything into to pot, went to the beach, came home and voila! Dinner is served!
Made this for our clients at the respite centre, it went down really well. Used chicken and pork, not lamb but used the sausage and followed everything else. Didn't do it in a crockpot though, cooked it on top of the stove for 3 hours, came out perfect. Actually did not have any left over as they came back for seconds. Great Recipe..thanks and our clients say thanks too.