Recipe by chia
not the traditional cassoulet, but lower calorie and so much less work!
Top Review by Derf
Wow! what a marvelous taste, those chorizo sausages really make this dish. i followed the recipe exactly and it turned out great. One of my first experiences with eggplant, it seemed ok, although I can't say I liked it or not, it didn't seem to have any taste or it's own, it felt like it just added volume to the dish. I will certainly make this again, the taste is outstanding!! It would add a nice dish for a BBQ or just plain comfort for a cold winter night. The lamb was very good in it and we are wondering if stew beef could be used when we can't get lamb stew meat. My beans still seemed quite hard about half way through, so I turned the pot up to high for the last half, glad I did it came out wonderful.
- 1 cup dry great northern beans or 1 cup navy beans
- 1 lb cubed lamb
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, cooked and sliced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 small eggplant, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- rinse beans, bring to boil in pan, simmer for 10 minutes.
- remove from heat and cover for 1 hour.
- in pan brown lamb in oil, drain off fat.
- in crock pot combine lamb, beans, broth, sausage, garlic and spices.
- cook on hi 4-5 hours or low 8-10 hours.
- on hi, add eggplant, pepper, tomato paste and cook 30 minutes.