Recipe by Wheres_the_Beef?
This is an easy way to make delicious Carnitas (Mexican style shredded pork) in a crock pot. Serve with flour or corn tortillas, taco chips, refried beans, salsa, shredded cheese, etc.
Top Review by grill2310
Originally from California and can't find any decent Carnitas where I live in Connecticut. These are very good Carnitas, the only modification I made was to pull them apart with a fork into smaller pieces and then put in the oven, under the broiler, to crisp them up. They turned out great.
- 1360.77 g pork shoulder or 1360.77 g pork butt
- 946.36 ml chicken broth, hot
- 29.58 ml garlic powder
- 29.58 ml onion powder
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml chili powder, medium hot
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 1.23 ml salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add hot chicken broth to crock pot.
- Add spices and lime juice to crock pot and mix well into chicken broth.
- Add pork to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or until most of water is reduced and a thick gravy like sauce forms.
- Shred meat and mix into thickened cooking sauces.