Recipe by Wheres_the_Beef?
This is an easy way to make delicious Carnitas (Mexican style shredded pork) in a crock pot. Serve with flour or corn tortillas, taco chips, refried beans, salsa, shredded cheese, etc.
Top Review by grill2310
Originally from California and can't find any decent Carnitas where I live in Connecticut. These are very good Carnitas, the only modification I made was to pull them apart with a fork into smaller pieces and then put in the oven, under the broiler, to crisp them up. They turned out great.
- 3 lbs pork shoulder or 3 lbs pork butt
- 4 cups chicken broth, hot
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, medium hot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add hot chicken broth to crock pot.
- Add spices and lime juice to crock pot and mix well into chicken broth.
- Add pork to crock pot.
- Cover and cook on High for 4 to 6 hours or until most of water is reduced and a thick gravy like sauce forms.
- Shred meat and mix into thickened cooking sauces.