Make and share this Crock Pot 'carnitas' recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4 slices orange rind, from half an orange (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Dr. Pepper cola or 1 (12 ounce) can Mr Pibb soda or 1 (12 ounce) can Coca-Cola
- 16 fajita-size flour tortillas
Pico de gallo Ingredients
- 1 large tomato, cored and chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Combine pork, onion, jalapeno, orange peel and soda in a crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Uncover and shred the meat using 2 forks.
- Serve on flour tortillas and top with pico de gallo, if desired.
- For Pico de Gallo:.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use; Makes 1 1/2 cups.
- Note: Also, up to 2 teaspoons each of fresh minced garlic and dried oregano can be added to taste.
- The carnitas can be served rolled into flour tortillas or in taco shells.
- Topping options include pico de gallo, guacamole or shredded cheese with a bit of taco sauce.