Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Easy recipe for a weeknight meal. Throw everything in crock pot in the morning and your meal's ready when you arrive home from work or school. Serve with hot cooked rice; tossed salad on the side. Source unknown. Vegetarian friendly! *Update* February 2009: I used this recipe: Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties to replace the ham.
- 2 (15 ounce) canswhole reduced sodium black beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened crushed canned pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 lb turkey ham or 1⁄4 lb regular ham (diced) or 4 -5 vegetarian sausage links or 4 -5 sausage patties (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- water or broth
- Put all ingredients except for water in crock pot.
- Cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours. If mixture appears dried out, add a little bit of water or broth to desired consistency.
- Serve hot with rice.
Here in Australia black beans in a can don't exist. So, I had to soak mine and cook them (they are a bit hard to find as they aren't popular - we are more influenced my Asian cooking). I added a bacon bone, a green capsicum (pepper) and extra bbq sauce (I left out the sugar - I'm thought it would make it too sweet). I cooked mine in the oven (nice and slow for a couple of hours). I agree that a bit of hot sauce would be great. I served it with rice and can I say it is tasty but more filling than I thought. Thanks for the recipe, the leftovers are going into a pot of chili
I halved the recipe and really enjoyed this dish! I used veggie chorizo style sausage. Lots of flavor! Thanks Cookgirl!
I didn't like this quite so sweet. I added a couple of dashes of tabasco sauce. I might add a can of pinto beans to the next batch. I served it over corn bread.