Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Make up a bunch of caramelized onions at once and freeze them for later. This is so easy.
- You can use just about any kind of onion for this--Vidalia, Spanish, yellow--it's your choice.
- Slice the stem and root ends off each onion. Peel the onions, but leave them whole.
- Place onions and butter in crock pot and cook on low for anywhere from 12-36 hours. The onions will get deep golden brown and literally fall apart.
- Use right away or freeze for later.
- Suggested uses: in omelets, sandwiches, soups, casseroles, dips, pasta sauce, or alongside any grilled meat.
- Note: If your crock pot is big enough, you can double the amount of onions.
Great recipe! Great way to use up the last of the 10# bag of onions I buy from Costco. I used these broken up on pizzas and in casseroles. I cannot wait until the sweet Vidalia and 1015s come back into season. I am going to freeze lots of these.
DH loves onions but I have to saute them first to mellow them as they love him back all night after he eats them. This was a great idea. I froze the onions after caramelizing and used them as needed for various dishes. They smell great while cooking,too. Thanks, Jeri.
These are so simple and so good. I did them overnight, and they smelled so good when I hit the kitchen in the morning. Not sure caramelized onions go with coffee, but they sure smelled great. Thanks for a good and easy recipe, JeriBinNC.