Recipe by Johnney
These are the most wonderful tasting onions I have ever had You'll never stand at the stove again once you've made these. If you can get Vidalia Onions there the best, If not any sweet onion will do. It's almost impossible to overcook this, so go for the deepest brown. Use the onions and liquid to flavor soup, stock and stews. They make wonderful additions to risotto, a perfect pasta sauce, and the world's best pizza topping (first drain off the liquid). Onions can be stored in zippered plastic bags in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer up to a year. If you try these please rate it.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, peeled (Leave whole)
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic, Minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the stem and the root from the onions and leave whole.
- Place the whole onions, butter and broth in a slow cooker set on low and cook until the onions are deep golden brown and very soft, 12 to 24 hours.
- Different slow cookers will take different amounts of time.
- When done allow to cool before you store them or use them right away.