Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
These are the most wonderful tasting onions I have ever had You'll never stand at the stove again once you've made these. If you can get Vidalia Onions there the best, If not any sweet onion will do. It's almost impossible to overcook this, so go for the deepest brown. Use the onions and liquid to flavor soup, stock and stews. They make wonderful additions to risotto, a perfect pasta sauce, and the world's best pizza topping (first drain off the liquid). Onions can be stored in zippered plastic bags in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer up to a year. If you try these please rate it.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs sweet onions, peeled (Leave whole)
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (10 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic, Minced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Cut the stem and the root from the onions and leave whole.
- Place the whole onions, butter and broth in a slow cooker set on low and cook until the onions are deep golden brown and very soft, 12 to 24 hours.
- Different slow cookers will take different amounts of time.
- When done allow to cool before you store them or use them right away.
I have recently developed a liking to carmelized onions and this was great for preparing and fixing but I think I prefer them out of the frypan better.
I cooked these overnight and they were a quite brown when I checked them in the morning, but oh so tasty! Thanks Johnney!
Absoltely wonderful and super easy! Made exactly as stated. Served with filet mignon along with sauteed mushrooms, and these were gobbled up first! Would also be great for french onion soup. Have put in my favorites cookbook. Thanks for an easy and delicious recipe, Johnney!