Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another crock pot winner! The onions become meltingly tender. Make sure to serve with crusty bread to dip into the juices!
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup regular beer or 3⁄4 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place onions in 3 1/2-to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place beef on onions.
- Mix remaining ingredients; pour over beef and onions.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef and onions from cooker, using slotted spoon.
- Cut beef into slices.
- Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired.
- Serve beef with juices.
This has to be the best tasting roast I have ever made! I was a little leery at first at the quantity of onions ... but they were simply delicious, and the sauce was very tasty. Thanks for posting a great recipe--I will make this again & again! -M :)
Great flavor! Both the onions and the meat melt in your mouth! Will definately make this one again.
A very good slow cooker roast. Before I put the beef in the slow cooker, I made 4 or 5 slits in the roast and stuffed sliced garlic in them. The juices produced from the recipe are very light. Not a heavy, thick gravy. It tasted good.