Recipe by yooper
Another crock pot winner! The onions become meltingly tender. Make sure to serve with crusty bread to dip into the juices!
Top Review by Mary Scheffert
This has to be the best tasting roast I have ever made! I was a little leery at first at the quantity of onions ... but they were simply delicious, and the sauce was very tasty. Thanks for posting a great recipe--I will make this again & again! -M :)
- 4 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup regular beer or 3⁄4 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim excess fat from beef.
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place onions in 3 1/2-to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Place beef on onions.
- Mix remaining ingredients; pour over beef and onions.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef and onions from cooker, using slotted spoon.
- Cut beef into slices.
- Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired.
- Serve beef with juices.