Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is so easy and delicious, and perfect every time. My family loves it, and it's a great dessert to take to a holiday dinner.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- Do not open sweetened condensed milk cans, but remove the paper on the outside of the cans.
- Put water into crock pot, then put UNOPENED sweetened condensed milk cans into water. Turn on low, and allow to simmer overnight, or for 8 hours.
- Remove cans from water. Allow to cool, then open cans. Empty contents (should be a rich, caramel color) into a bowl and with a whisk whip until smooth and fluffy. Pour into pie shell, and top with cool whip.
- Chill before serving.
I really liked this method of making dulce de leche...I haven't been successful with other methods and was too afraid of boiling it over the stove top. Thank you!
I can't rate this as I haven't tried it yet. I just wanted to say that I grew up on carmelized condescended milk (aka Dulce de Leche) & it's great. Better still now, Nestle's La Lechera has started producing Dulce de Leche & you can find it next to the condescended milk or in the latin foods sections of most any grocery store. I can't wait to try this out on my family.