Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This pie is unusual because it has no crust.
Make and share this Crock Pot California Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 lb ground beef (browned)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 16 ounces tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 16 ounces corn (drained)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces black olives
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Mix cornmeal, milk, and egg. Then add ground beef, tomatoes, onion, chili mix, seasoning salt, corn, and olives.
- Pour into crock pot. Cook on high for 3 - 4 hours. Sprinkle cheese over top. Cook 5 minutes longer.
I made the recipe as written -- I wish I had added something spicy to it (like used Rotel tomatoes instead of plain ones, or tossed in some green chilis)... the "pie" was bland. Also, it had kind of a strange consistency (like mush?). I smothered my piece with salsa, and it was much better. At first, I thought this was okay, but as I kept eating it, I realized how much I really didn't enjoy this tamale pie. I tossed the leftovers and won't make this again.
A very satisfying dish. Tasted good and was very easy to put together. Followed it to a tee except added a pinch of red pepper flakes for some heat. Will make this again. Thanks Chef #223316.