Recipe by jlynnep
This recipe is great for parties! I haven't had a person yet who doesn't enjoy it.
Top Review by tommybluez
If you have an extra 20 minutes... SKIP THE CANNED CHICKEN. Canned chicken has that "tuna" taste/smell association because of the brine/canning process. Take 3/4-1lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut them in 1/2 or 1/3rds depending on the size of the breast pieces you have and poach them in boiling salted water (they'll cook quicker) - run them under cold water and shred them with a fork or dice them if you're in a hurry. If you've made it with canned chicken and then do it this way you will taste the WORLD of difference. Also, I tend to add a touch of cayenne 1/8tsp and use sharp cheddar... If you make it in a 13x9 instead of the crock pot, you can sprinkle crumbled bleu cheese on top before you bake it and you get a nice cheesey brown crusty top :) (ps I'm from Buffalo...)
ALSO - If you're making this ahead of time and want to 'set and forget' -- which is what a crock pot recipe should be, you can completely skip the saucepan, just stir everything together (easiest way is throw it all in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle and turn it up (it really helps integrate the chicken as well) and throw it all in the crock pot...
- 2 (566.99 g) can chicken
- 2 (453.59 g) packet cream cheese
- 177.44 ml hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- 236.59 ml ranch dressing
- 473.18 ml mild cheddar cheese
- 2 loaf baguette
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain canned chicken and put in medium sauce pan.
- Add hot sauce and cook on medium until heated throughout. My personal favorite is Frank's hot sauce.
- Add cream cheese and stir until blended thoroughly.
- Add ranch dressing and mix.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and heat for a few minutes until mixed and melted.
- Pour the dip into the crock pot and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on the top. Keep heated on low.
- I serve on baguette that has been sliced and toasted. However, it is also tasty on corn chips.