Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is great for parties! I haven't had a person yet who doesn't enjoy it.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
- 2 (8 ounce) packets cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves baguette
- Drain canned chicken and put in medium sauce pan.
- Add hot sauce and cook on medium until heated throughout. My personal favorite is Frank's hot sauce.
- Add cream cheese and stir until blended thoroughly.
- Add ranch dressing and mix.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of cheddar cheese and heat for a few minutes until mixed and melted.
- Pour the dip into the crock pot and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on the top. Keep heated on low.
- I serve on baguette that has been sliced and toasted. However, it is also tasty on corn chips.
If you have an extra 20 minutes... SKIP THE CANNED CHICKEN. Canned chicken has that "tuna" taste/smell association because of the brine/canning process. Take 3/4-1lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut them in 1/2 or 1/3rds depending on the size of the breast pieces you have and poach them in boiling salted water (they'll cook quicker) - run them under cold water and shred them with a fork or dice them if you're in a hurry. If you've made it with canned chicken and then do it this way you will taste the WORLD of difference. Also, I tend to add a touch of cayenne 1/8tsp and use sharp cheddar... If you make it in a 13x9 instead of the crock pot, you can sprinkle crumbled bleu cheese on top before you bake it and you get a nice cheesey brown crusty top :) (ps I'm from Buffalo...)
ALSO - If you're making this ahead of time and want to 'set and forget' -- which is what a crock pot recipe should be, you can completely skip the saucepan, just stir everything together (easiest way is throw it all in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle and turn it up (it really helps integrate the chicken as well) and throw it all in the crock pot...
Quick, simple and tastes wonderful. I made the dip for my cousins grad party and it was gone in no time, everyone loved it. I skipped all of the first steps and just put all of the ingredients into the crockpot and let them cook together on high for 1 hour and then another hour on warm and then switched it to warm and it was ready! A real crowd pleaser.
I made this twice for Christmas parties and also for New Year's Eve, everyone loved it!!! I used about 1/3 of a block of "velveeta" and threw in about 1-2 cups of shredded mexican cheese and also upped the hot sauce, since we all love the heat. I also used a rotisserie chicken, picked free of skin, fat and bone. Threw it all in the crockpot and stirred from time to time, easy and delicious!!!