Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Fall apart tender and the crockpot does all the work. I love to use my crockpot during the fall and winter and come home to a house smelling yummy.
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry onion soup mix
- 12 hamburger buns
- Lightly sprinkle brisket with salt and pepper to taste. Brown brisket in oil in large skitllet; transfer brisket to crockpot and saute the onion, celery and garlic 1 minute in the same skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients to the skillet except the buns; blend well scraping up bits from the pan, bring to a boil. Pour over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on low 7 to 8 hours on low or until tender. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Serve meat with buns.
What's really nice is that this recipe uses things that you are likely to have in your pantry. i subbed celery flakes for the celery, as I don't care for cooked celery, and added some dried onion flakes instead of the onion soup mix. I did not add any salt, the broth added enough salt for me. If I had planned better I would have made this yesterday, as letting the meat stand overnight helps one slice it better. I don't really like it falling apart. But as I made and ate today, it did shred somewhat - delicious any way you slice it.