I came up with this by combining other recipes. We keep a small slow cooker in our camper and I often make this when we go camping. I just throw everything together before we go to sleep and it's ready for us in the morning.
- Place a layer of frozen hash browns on the bottom of the crock pot, followed by a layer of bacon, then onions, bell pepper and cheese.
- Repeat the layering process two more times, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together.
- Pour over the crock pot mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours. Note based on harsh review: If you know your slow cooker runs hot, reduce the time accordingly. I have made this many times at the stated time with great results - best between 8-9 hours, well done at 10, but not burnt.
This was good and every easy to make. I use my crock pot a lot but have never made breakfast in it so this was a first and certainly not the last :) I followed the recipe as written except I used o'brien potatoes so I didn't add the onion and bell pepper.
I created a user account just so I could rate this recipe. It was absolutely spectacular. Simple, quick, and better than any breakfast casserole we've ever tried! (And my family of 30 are huge breakfast casserole critics!)
Browsing the reviews tonight I came across this recipe. I've not made, nor will I probably ever. BUT the thing is crock pots. I have a love/hate relationship with them. The older, smaller ones don't get as hot as the bigger, newer ones do, and there is no set of instructions to to work this out. They all say crock pot, and they are, but they are not created equal. It is for this reason I wouldn't attempt this recipe that has eggs as a main ingredient. So, be kind to the chef as this may very well work for THEIR crock put, but be a disaster in yours.