Recipe by s'kat
Fabulous no fuss bread pudding!
Top Review by yooper
Yet another ingenious use for the good old crockpot! I used a slightly stale loaf of Italian bread and made my crumbs in the blender and left in some chunks for texture. I omitted the rasins but kept the banana. I was worried it would be too mushy, but it came out fine! The next time I make this, I'm going to brown some apples in a fry pan in some butter and add those. Thanks s'kat for sharing this!
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups plain breadcrumbs (or more to make mixture as thick as cooked oatmeal when mixed with all ingredients)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 banana, mashed or sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together until bread crumbs are thoroughly wet, and mixture is smooth like thick oatmeal.
- Place mixture in a WELL greased crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until a knife stuck in middle of the"pudding" comes out fairly clean.
- NOTE: For the last 1/2 hour of cooking, lift the lid a"crack" by putting a spoon or fork between it and the pot, to let the excess moisture escape; otherwise you will have a clear liquid all around the bread pudding.
- Bread pudding should rise slightly like a cake while cooking, and be smooth on top.
- It should be fairly solid when done, like a very moist chewy brownie, or perhaps like a dense souffle.