Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Another great recipe from Women's Day.
- 4 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut up
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 ounces chopped fully cooked smoked ham
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 8 ounces yellow rice mix
- 1⁄3 cup sliced pimento stuffed olive
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt.
- Heat oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides; drain.
- Place chicken in 4 quart slow cooker.
- Top with ham, onion, and bell pepper. Add broth.
- Cover and cook on Low 5 to 6 hours until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut.
- Remove chicken from crock pot. Stir rice mix into mixture in crock pot, add chicken.
- Cover and cook on High about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- Serve chicken and rice sprinkled with olives.
This recipe sounds yummy, but I have yet to make it. I have a question though. What caught my attention to this recipe is the one ingridient that is not in your recipe? Saffron? I love saffron and that is why I peeked at your recipe. I read it 3 times in case I missed it? No saffron?