Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My brother-in-law shared this recipe with us. It is a very easy and delicious recipe. A nice variation from grilled brats, particularly during very cold weather when you don't want to get the grill out, or when you're too busy watching a Green Bay Packer game! This recipe is definitely a Midwest U.S. region favorite.
- Lightly brown bratwursts in butter.
- Layer one half of the bell peppers, onion and apple in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place 3 bratwursts on top.
- Repeat with remaining veggies and bratwurst.
- Pour beer over all.
- Cook on high for 1- 2 hours.
- Turn to low and cook at least 4 more hours.
- Serve brat and pepper mixture on rolls with mustard or favorite condiment.
- Excellent with sauerkraut and German potato salad.
This was very good. Different from the way I'm used to, but different is NOT a bad word. The 3 different peppers (red, yellow, green) made this more colorful than the traditional way, and added a unique, contempo/international fusion flavor to it. I really enjoy foods that blend 2 or more cultures together. The fact that is was slowly cooked in a crockpot also merged the flavours quite wonderfully! Thanks for a great idea and a great recipe PanNan!
Thought this would be a great idea but felt the vegetables tasted a bit too harsh from all the beer.
Wonderful flavor. I used Johnsonville beer brats and only 12 oz. beer as the veggies give off enough moisture. Will make this again but will cook on low for 6 hours vice high and low. I served with sauerkraut. Great meal.