Recipe by PanNan
My brother-in-law shared this recipe with us. It is a very easy and delicious recipe. A nice variation from grilled brats, particularly during very cold weather when you don't want to get the grill out, or when you're too busy watching a Green Bay Packer game! This recipe is definitely a Midwest U.S. region favorite.
Top Review by Mimi Bobeck
This was very good. Different from the way I'm used to, but different is NOT a bad word. The 3 different peppers (red, yellow, green) made this more colorful than the traditional way, and added a unique, contempo/international fusion flavor to it. I really enjoy foods that blend 2 or more cultures together. The fact that is was slowly cooked in a crockpot also merged the flavours quite wonderfully! Thanks for a great idea and a great recipe PanNan!
- 6 fresh bratwursts (preferably Johnsonville brand)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in strips
- 1 sweet onion, sliced and quartered
- 1 apple, halved and sliced (Granny Smith works well)
- 36 ounces beer
- hoagie roll
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly brown bratwursts in butter.
- Layer one half of the bell peppers, onion and apple in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place 3 bratwursts on top.
- Repeat with remaining veggies and bratwurst.
- Pour beer over all.
- Cook on high for 1- 2 hours.
- Turn to low and cook at least 4 more hours.
- Serve brat and pepper mixture on rolls with mustard or favorite condiment.
- Excellent with sauerkraut and German potato salad.