Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Very tender lamb with lots of delicate spices. Great over rice or couscous.
- 3 -4 lbs lamb shanks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas or 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans
- cooked rice or couscous
- Brown lamb shanks under broiler to remove excess fat.
- Remove shanks from broiler and place in the bottom of crock pot.
- Mix together salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cinnamon, paprika, lemon zest, tomato sauce and red wine.
- Pour over lamb shanks in crock pot.
- Sprinkle chopped onions and drained chickpeas over the top.
- Set crock pot on low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve lamb shanks on rice or couscous.
- Skim sauce of any fat, if serving.
Yum!! Sue, I had to tweak the recipe a little. I did not change a thing about your gorgeous mix of spices. But I do not have a crock pot, so I did much the same thing -- by slow-roasting in the oven, for hours! The scents during the long baking time, as we came through the front door, were amazing! The only thing I would change -- and lift this to 5 stars -- would be to stir-fry all those gorgeous spices in a little oil, before using. I found that, however great it smelled, the true flavours did not actually feature in the final result only because the spices were not fried beforehand. But this is still a a great recipe! Thanks for a new idea to do shanks. We have this often, and this spicy recipe was really new to me! :-)
This was a little to tangy (tomato) for us. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't Wow! at least not for us anyway. It made a nice quick meal though.