Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
mersaydees has this recipe posted Boeuf Bourguignon and as part of ZWT8 "A French Love Affair Challenge" which required making necessary changes to use a crock pot. It was pretty easy and resulted in a rich, adult flavor that I served over steamed rice with a glass of red wine on the side. Lovely dinner that smelled great while it was cooking..
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 lb smoked bacon, in one piece and cut into chunks
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch spring onions or 1 leek, cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons cognac
- 750 ml red Burgundy wine
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Sear the bacon and onions in the pan with butter,.
- add those to the crockpot with the salt, pepper, garlic and carrots.
- Then brown the meat and deglazed it with the cognac.
- Placed that in the crock pot with the burgandy wine,
- Cover and cooked on low for 5 hours, adding a little more flour at the end to make a thicker gravy.