Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 15 mins
Boston Brown Bread is an tradition - and although this recipe dates from the mid 1800's - with the invention of the crock pot it makes it's even simpler...The original method is to use a trivet in a kettle.
- Grease well a 1 pound coffee can - may flour if you wish.
- Put enough water in crock pot to come halfway up the can.
- In large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Combine molasses and milk then add to dry ingredients.
- Stir in raisins, if desired.
- Fill coffee cans about 2/3 full - cover with foil secured with rubber band.
- Place can on trivet in crock pot, Water should come about 1/2 way up (if you cannot put the lid on the crock pot with a trivet then remove the trivet).
- Put lid on crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove from crock pot - remove foil cover and place can in 300 degree oven for 10 minutes to "dry".