Recipe by Grammy Irene
Easy,delicious old fashioned baked beans. No need to soak overnight. Cook on low in the crockpot overnight and they come out perfect everytime. Only add water if needed otherwise they will come out too wet. The longer they cook the beter they taste.
Top Review by Red Apron Cupcakes
Loved this recipe! Loved that it had few ingredients, and not loaded with sugar. I did add some jalapeno. because in the southwest we love heat. will make again and again
- 1 lb white beans (great northern)
- 8 ounces salt pork (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 5 -6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In crockpot, stir together, beans, chopped onion, sugar, molasses and mustard. Add salt pork and 5 cups water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, change to low and cook until dark brown and beans are tender. Stir occasionally. Add water if the beans begin to look dry and are still uncooked. I cook overnight on low and the beans are usually done in the morning. I don't remember the exact amount of salt pork but I usually buy the square package of Hormel.