Prep 40 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This tasty soup is best on cold winter days.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs round steaks, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced beets
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Brown steak in oil; drain.
- Place veggies in crock pot; place steak on top.
- Mix remaining ingredients except cream and sour cream, and pour over steak.
- Cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- 45 minutes prior to serving, skim off fat, and add cream and sour cream to crock pot.
I made this today using a 10 ounce can of soup, and beef broth instead of water. I am not sure if this tastes like Broscht or not, but its a good soup that I will make again. I tasted it without the half and half, and with the half and half I could taste the tomato soup flavour, which was too distinct , so I left the half and half out of the recipe in the final cooking stage. I didnt want anyone thinking it was from a can. Maybe next time I will use a small can tomatoes for a fresher flavour. Although this is a great soup as is. I did add some dried dill to each serving with sour cream. I have to go to the church next door and buy some Ukranian Borscht so I can compare now.
This was great! It takes a while to get everything diced up (though I just received a food processor for Christmas). But it was well worth it and makes a lot! Very tasty.
Excellent!! Tossed it in the crockpot before I ran out for the day, and my kids couldn't wait for dinner to dive in. Even the confirmed soup haters loved it! Hooray!