Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I'm using this for Sunday meals - Great way to go through beans, and sausage is an inexpensive meat. I can put everything in, and return after Church and laundry, and find wonderful meal waiting.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced dried chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 spicy pork sausage links or 8 beef sausages
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth or 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Soak the black beans overnight in a generous amount of water.
- Preheat the crock pot on high while prepping.
- Drain beans, rinse, and place in a large pan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes, then drain and put them in crock pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute the onion, garlic, celery with the chiles, cumin, and mustard powder for 3 minutes Add the bell pepper, stir, and put contents of skillet in the crock pot. Stir.
- Add sausages to skillet, and cook until browned, (but don't overcook) then empty into crock pot.
- Blend tomatoes, maple syrup, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 6 to 8 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, garnish with the chopped thyme.