Recipe by Kozmic Blues
This summer, I was given a cookbook called the "125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes" Now that I HAVE a slow cooker, unearthed from my mothers basement, I can actually try all the great recipes in my new book. A torta is a type of layered casserole, somewhat similar to an enchilada, but with out all the rolling.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
This was a pretty good recipe. Used flour tortillas which did become a little soggy as expected. It made a huge crockpot full! I served with guacamole and sour cream and a zucchini/yellow squash sautee. I thought it had good taste and have been eating leftovers for lunch with some tortilla chips to add a little texture.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- salsa, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- add garlic, cumin, oregano, cracked pepper and cook for another minute.
- Add corn, black beans and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the bean mixture into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Lay 1 tortilla on top of the mixture.
- Spread another 1/2 cup of the beans on top of the tortilla.
- Repeat until all 8 tortillas are used.
- Pour remaining bean mixture over the top of the last tortilla.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Spread green chilies over the top of the torta and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.