We love this black bean chili.
Make and share this Crock Pot Black Bean Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- grated cheese (to garnish)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Rinse and sort the black beans and put in crock pot and cover with water.
- Cook on low overnight (no presoaking necessary). In the morning drain the cooking water.
- Place beans back in crock pot and add onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, chili powder and cumin.
- Add the remaining ingredients except canned beans and garnishes. Stir well and cook on low all day.
- Stir in canned beans an hour or so before serving.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with garnishes of your choice. (We love ours topped with lots of cheddar cheese).
This was an okay bean chili. We used 2 cans of black beans and that made everything 'on hand'. The garlic really stood out in this dish as well as the cannellini beans. We would have liked more black beans in this. Even waiting a day, The flavor was the same and it still did not thicken up much so we added another can of tomato paste. Overall, we liked this recipe, we felt it just needs to be tweeked a bit. Thanks for the opportunity to try it.