Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
DELICIOUS mainstay on our menu! It makes the BEST GRAVY!!! We have this for dinner quite frequently....good and easy to prepare! All the veggies go in and cook along with the roast. Rice is always served and the roast and veggies are placed on top. UMMMmm!
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cut vegetables and place in crock in the following order: carrots, celery, onion and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt.
- Brown roast in vegetable oil and place on top of vegetables in crock pot. (More salt may be sprinkled on roast.).
- In a small bowl mix cream of mushroom soup, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and water. Pour over roast.
- Cover with crock pot lid and cook 1 hour on high and 4 hours on low. Serve over rice.
I would recommend this recipe, very very good. I also added a half packet of onion soup mix, 1 small can of stewed tomatoes and about a cup of water. Since I had a late start that morning I put the crockpot on high for 2 hours then turned it on low for 4 hrs. The chuck roast was falling apart and the vegetables were cooked just right. I will certainly make this again since it was a hit with my husband who is a meat and potatoes kinds guy.
This is a delicious roast! I basically followed it exactly other than using a little more than a 3 pound roast to serve the four of us. I cooked mine on high for the first hour and then low for about 7 more hours. The roast was fall-apart tender and very flavorful. The vegetables were done just right. Thanks for sharing!
This recipe did not make a thick enough gravy for my liking, so I added 2 gravy packets mixed with just a little water and added this at the end. After adding the gravy it turned out great!