Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
DELICIOUS mainstay on our menu! It makes the BEST GRAVY!!! We have this for dinner quite frequently....good and easy to prepare! All the veggies go in and cook along with the roast. Rice is always served and the roast and veggies are placed on top. UMMMmm!
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cut vegetables and place in crock in the following order: carrots, celery, onion and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt.
- Brown roast in vegetable oil and place on top of vegetables in crock pot. (More salt may be sprinkled on roast.).
- In a small bowl mix cream of mushroom soup, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and water. Pour over roast.
- Cover with crock pot lid and cook 1 hour on high and 4 hours on low. Serve over rice.
This is a delicious roast! I basically followed it exactly other than using a little more than a 3 pound roast to serve the four of us. I cooked mine on high for the first hour and then low for about 7 more hours. The roast was fall-apart tender and very flavorful. The vegetables were done just right. Thanks for sharing!
Why do you brown the roast before putting it in the crock pot?
I saw this recipe, looked delicious so I was a little pressed for time and cooked it in a pressure cooker, and Wow! the gravy was very good and the meat was very tender! I followed the recipe as planned! Kids loved it as well!