Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Gloriously colourful, the vegetables in this soup glow like jewels in a bowl. Caraway seeds add an authentic touch to the stock. Choose round, red-skinned waxy potatoes because they will stay in neat cubes. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over top.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch caraway seed
- 4 beets (with leaves)
- 2 large red potatoes
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped (19 oz./540 mL)
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; fry onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and caraway seeds, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Scrape into slow-cooker.
- Meanwhile, trim stalks from beets. Coarsely chop enough of the most tender leaves to make 2 cups; set aside. Peel and cube beets. Peel potatoes, if desired; cut into cubes.
- Add beets, potatoes, stock and tomatoes to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in reserved beet greens, vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until greens are wilted. Discard bay leaf. Garnish each bowlful with sour cream; sprinkle with dill. Makes 6 servings.
- Canadian Living.