I like to make this ahead, and have it ready for when everyone gathers to watch football. It is very easy for someone to just get one out of the crock pot when they need it. Good for all kinds of sausages and wursts. Goes great with German potato salad or roast corn.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs uncooked sausages or 2 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage or 2 1⁄2 lbs bratwursts or 2 1⁄2 lbs frankfurters or 2 1⁄2 lbs bockwurst or 2 1⁄2 lbs Polish sausage or 2 1⁄2 lbs mettwurst or 2 1⁄2 lbs other suitable sausage
- 24 ounces bottled beer (German beer is good)
- 1 -2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons German mustard or 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 10 -12 peppercorns (or a couple of grinds of black pepper)
- 1 whole dried hot red chili pepper (optional)
- Brown sausages in a skillet until they have nice color.
- Stir remaining ingredients together in the crock pot.
- Add the sausages and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until any uncooked sausages (fresh types) are cooked through.
- Set on warm for 1-2 hours during serving, then refrigerate any unused portions.
- Serve warm with buns, mustard, cooked onion, and additional horseradish, if desired.