Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
From a cookbook called "Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes," this soup tastes very similar to French onion soup, but the cheese is mixed right in. I've had a little trouble in the past with the cheese and milk curdling, so I turn my slow cooker off and let the soup cool a little before adding. *Update Sept 22/06: Try adding a pound of smoked sausage and 2 diced potatoes for a heartier version.
- 2 -3 slices pumpernickel bread or 2 -3 slices rye bread
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beer (dang it, I guess you'll just have to drink the rest!)
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, stirring once, or until crisp. Set aside.
- Combine broth, beer, onion, garlic, and thyme in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Turn to high and stir in cheese, milk, and paprika. Cook another 45-60 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Stir and ladle into bowls; top with croutons before serving.