Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From a cookbook called "Best Loved Slow Cooker Recipes," this soup tastes very similar to French onion soup, but the cheese is mixed right in. I've had a little trouble in the past with the cheese and milk curdling, so I turn my slow cooker off and let the soup cool a little before adding. *Update Sept 22/06: Try adding a pound of smoked sausage and 2 diced potatoes for a heartier version.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes; place on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, stirring once, or until crisp. Set aside.
- Combine broth, beer, onion, garlic, and thyme in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Turn to high and stir in cheese, milk, and paprika. Cook another 45-60 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Stir and ladle into bowls; top with croutons before serving.
this recipe was horrible. i spent all day waiting and followed to a T the recipe and the cheese never melted. dont try this just make the soup...