Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This is great comfort food. I serve it over thick egg noodles. Perfect for cold winter nights.
Make and share this Crock Pot Beef With Mushroom and Red Wine Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 680.38 g beef stew meat, well trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 226.79 g package baby portabella mushrooms (crimini or other mushroom may be used)
- 28.34 g packagebeefy onion soup mix (one envelope)
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 354.88 ml wine, dry and red
- Place beef, onions and mushrooms in a 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Add dry soup mix. Sprinkle with cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour wine over all. Cover and cook on low 10 to 12 hours or high 5 to 6 hours.
- Stir well before serving.
I was very pleased with the results. This was a great alternative to regular beef stew and was easy and tasty. I did add a few cloves of garlic, pepper, and some parsley. I made it on the stove and just left it simmer for about 2 hours before adding the mushrooms and cooking for another 10 minutes. (14)
How absolutely simple this was to make. . .served it over pasta. . ..Great flavor. I used beef stew meat, one onion, reduced the wine by 1/4 cup and cooked on low for 7 hours. Because of the reviews, I cut the beef into smaller pieces and reduced the wine slightly. If you use flour instead of cornstarch, you may need a bit more flour to thicken.
Next time, I'll make just as described. My husband loved it but said that the mushrooms lost their flavor. I might try adding them later next time.
Thank you for a really good meal.