Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is another delicious soup I like to make in the crock pot.
Make and share this Crock Pot Beef Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- fresh parsley sprig (optional)
- In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker, combine beef chuck pieces, sliced carrots, sliced celery, cubed potatoes and chopped onion.
- Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Add bay leaf, tomatoes with their juices and broth and brown sugar.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover, cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- About 1 hour before soup is done, stir in the peas and green beans.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- To serve, garnish with parsley if desired.
Several of us cook dinner for the staff and families of the workers for our Wednesday program at church. This week's meal was beef vegetable soup and this soup was a hit! Since we had to make a a large quantity, all I did was cook the meat in the crock pot while I was gone to work and we finished it up on the stove, but it great regardless of the cooking method. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for posting Lainey. Made for Potluck Tag.
This was a really good soup! The meat was so very tender & in contrast, the yukon potatoes held up nicely. We enjoyed their texture more than we would a regular baking potato. I used fire roasted tomatoes (what I had on hand), dark brown sugar and a cup of frozen mixed veggies which had peas, corn, green beans, carrots & lima beans. It turned out a rainy afternoon & although still hot outside, from inside our air conditioned house it looked & felt like a good day for a hearty soup! I needed to add some sea salt & cracked pepper at the table but the rest of the family didn't add anything but crackers. Thanks for posting, Lainey! :) Made & enjoyed for photo tag.
This soup had an excellent flavor, but the beef did not come out as tender as I would have liked. Next time I may brown it with flour and olive oil before putting it in the crockpot. I omitted the optional ingredients as well as the seasoning salt and thyme because I did not have any. I added two cloves of garlic, pressed, and increased the beef broth to 3c. as a personal preference. I also substituted all the vegetables with a 16oz. bag of mixed frozen vegetables. I will add large cubes of yukon gold potatoes next time. I think that will add to the texture of the soup, making it more of a stew. Good recipe with lots of room for customizing and expiramenting.