Recipe by Mirj
A great way to stretch a pound of beef, this soup is a whole supper in itself with a good hunk of peasant bread.
Top Review by dale!
Great recipe and very economical too! I used a piece of skirt steak in mine, a cheap cut that was perfect for the long slow cooking. I cooked it for 6 hours and then put it in the fridge overnight. Next day I skimmed off the fat, cooked it another couple of hours and stirred in some cooked pasta and frozen peas. The addition of the pasta made it very filling. I used half a cup of red wine in mine also. A very satisfying meal!
- 1 lb stewing beef, trim, bite size
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, pennied
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all except frozen vegetables in crock pot.
- Turn on low and cover, cooking for 6 hours.
- One half hour before serving, turn up to high, add frozen veggies, stir and cover.
- NOTES: If you are in a hurry you can do this in 3 1/2 hours on high heat.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- You can add 1/2 cup of red wine with the vegetables for a more robust flavor.