Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A great way to stretch a pound of beef, this soup is a whole supper in itself with a good hunk of peasant bread.
- 1 lb stewing beef, trim, bite size
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, sliced
- 3 potatoes, peeled, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, pennied
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- Place all except frozen vegetables in crock pot.
- Turn on low and cover, cooking for 6 hours.
- One half hour before serving, turn up to high, add frozen veggies, stir and cover.
- NOTES: If you are in a hurry you can do this in 3 1/2 hours on high heat.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- You can add 1/2 cup of red wine with the vegetables for a more robust flavor.
Great recipe and very economical too! I used a piece of skirt steak in mine, a cheap cut that was perfect for the long slow cooking. I cooked it for 6 hours and then put it in the fridge overnight. Next day I skimmed off the fat, cooked it another couple of hours and stirred in some cooked pasta and frozen peas. The addition of the pasta made it very filling. I used half a cup of red wine in mine also. A very satisfying meal!
Another great recipe. I added some Ditilini pasta along with an extra 16oz can of tomatoes and cooked on low for 10 hours. Try this with Inez's Impossible Beer Bread. You won't be disappointed.
It is always nice to have a warm bowl of soup on a chilly night. This was simple to through together yet packed with flavor. Served it with a side salad and tomato bread. MMMMM....good