Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another recipe from the Campbell's Slow Cooker cookbook. This simple casserole consists of ground beef, tomato soup, diced tomatoes with green chiles, corn tortillas and cheddar cheese.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- sour cream
- Cook beef in 2 batches in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to separate meat. Pour off fat.
- Mix beef, soup, water, tomatoes and tortillas in a 3 1/2- to 5-quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in cheese. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve with sour cream.
This is a good casserole that can be adapted to suit varying tastes, but I do think most people would want to add some seasonings, etc. to it. I added the equivalent of one package of taco seasoning mix and one can of rinsed and thoroughly drained black beans. I also chose to just let the cheese melt on top of the casserole instead of mixing it in. I think the 1/2 cup water could probably be omitted as the casserole seemed to have too much liquid after cooking the specified length of time. I just took the lid off with the crock pot set to warm for a while to let the extra liquid evaporate, but the texture would probably be better if less liquid was used. It did allow me to get a good dinner on the table while I was away from home - with most of the ingredients being staples that I already had on hand. Thanks Crafty Lady 13 - I think many people would enjoy this, adapting it to suit their own tastes. Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #15.