Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Another recipe from the Campbell's Slow Cooker cookbook. This simple casserole consists of ground beef, tomato soup, diced tomatoes with green chiles, corn tortillas and cheddar cheese.
Top Review by Sweet Diva MJ
This is a good casserole that can be adapted to suit varying tastes, but I do think most people would want to add some seasonings, etc. to it. I added the equivalent of one package of taco seasoning mix and one can of rinsed and thoroughly drained black beans. I also chose to just let the cheese melt on top of the casserole instead of mixing it in. I think the 1/2 cup water could probably be omitted as the casserole seemed to have too much liquid after cooking the specified length of time. I just took the lid off with the crock pot set to warm for a while to let the extra liquid evaporate, but the texture would probably be better if less liquid was used. It did allow me to get a good dinner on the table while I was away from home - with most of the ingredients being staples that I already had on hand. Thanks Crafty Lady 13 - I think many people would enjoy this, adapting it to suit their own tastes. Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #15.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef in 2 batches in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to separate meat. Pour off fat.
- Mix beef, soup, water, tomatoes and tortillas in a 3 1/2- to 5-quart crock pot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours. Stir in cheese. Cover and cook 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve with sour cream.