Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
A tasty and easy dish to cook. It has lots of flavor.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs beef top round steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large onions, halved, and cut into 8 thin wedges
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 crumbled feta
- In a crock pot, toss the beef with the flour until evenly coated.
- Mix in the onions.
- In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste, red wine, cumin, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water until well blended.
- Stir into the beef mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or until meat is tender, but not falling apart.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Serve over noodles or rice, topped with the walnuts and Feta cheese.
This didn't taste like we expected. The beef was tender, which was nice, but the dish was more like a mild BBQ sauce (and, in fact, I ended up eating mine as a sort of open-faced sandwich on top of a warm roll). It didn't taste bad at all - it just wasn't what we expected. We probably won't be making it again.
This beef stifado was good, but a little to cinnomony for us. The walnuts and feta were a nice touch. It also seemed kind of thick, not that it bothered us, just unexpected, we would sooner have it thinner. If I make it again, I would cut back on the flour and cut the cinnamon in half. Thanks for sharing Miss Annie, it was a nice change.
I thought this was a pretty good dish. I really loved the walnuts and feta, I really think they made the dish. I did omit the sugar at the end and I served it all over rice. Thanks Miss Annie for a great crockpot recipe!