Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I work nights so crock pot recipes are a lifesaver to me. Here is another one. Cut the beef and the veggies about the same size for uniform cooking
- 12 new potatoes, cut in fourths about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, sliced sliced or 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Spray crock pot with Pam.
- Mix all ingredients except for the beef in crock pot.
- Add the beef to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until everything is tender.
- Stir well before serving.
This recipe appeared in a Betty Crocker magazine I bought today. I was in a hurry, so I made it on the stovetop. I sauteed the mushrooms in olive oil, and then removed them so that I could add them at the last minute to prevent them being overcooked. I then sauteed the onion, browned the beef, added 2 tablespoons of flour, and added a whole carton of beef broth and the rest of the ingredients. I simmered everything for 1.45 hours. The stew came out nice, but next time I will skip the mushrooms (you really can't taste them in that small of a quantity), and will add 16 ounces of carrots instead of the 8 ounces called for. Thanks for posting!
This was a wonderful stew, and I loved the addition of the shiitakes. I used 1 1/2 pounds meat and browned it before adding to the crock-pot. Also reduced the cooking time, but I think my crock-pot must run hotter, as I find I need to do so with most crock-pot recipes I try. This was warming and hearty on a cold day. Thanks for posting the recipe!