Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, in 1 inch pieces
- 4 carrots, in 1/2 inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth or 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
For the Herb Dumplings
- 2 cups white flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chives
- Combine the beef, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine or beef broth.
- If you are using wine, use all the salt.
- If you are using beef broth you might not need it depending on the saltiness of the broth so taste it to see.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
- The vegetables and beef will become tender.
- Combine the flour and water and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
- For Herb Dumplings.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sage, rosemary, thyme, chives and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter that's been kept at room temperature or use soft margarine.
- Stir milk lightly into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon and adjust amounts to make sure that you have a moist dumpling dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover allow to cook on high for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.
- Do not overcook dumplings. Dumplings may disintegrate if left to cook too long.